Friday, March 15, 2013

Introducing the Westhoff family!

Today we have a guest post from my sister, Dawn Westhoff. She, her husband Erich, and sons, Hunter and Max are all part of Team Guatemala. Dawn writes:


Guatemala.  When Norm asked the youth group what their goal was, that was the answer he received.  This will be Hunter’s fourth mission trip and Max’s third, and they wanted to experience another culture.  Having Tony at Casa Bernabé made it a natural choice.  Unfortunately for them, Hunter’s track record meant mom and dad were going to tag along.  You may remember a trip a couple of years ago to an Indian reservation in Oklahoma that resulted in a broken leg, surgery and two pins in a leg forever.  Typical teenagers, they may look at us funny, but really I think they are glad we get to go as a family.  Erich and I are excited to see them in action, since they know what to expect when we get there. The mom part of me knows they will also bless those they go there to serve.  I know they bring their hearts ready to work, play and share of themselves for the good all of us.  Previous mission trips made changes in attitude, introduced them to different types of people and reinforced some of the lessons and values Erich and I have tried to instill in them.  We are so proud of Hunter and Max that they see a bigger world out there and are motivated to use their time and talents to bless others.
 I have to admit there is a part of me that hopes they come home with a different appreciation for the life we have provided them.  Another part knows they will come home with blessings that will affect the rest of their lives.  I go hoping to share my love of quilting/sewing possibly be able to teach those interested so they gain skills that improve their lives
This experience has been a bit of test to my faith. When I ran out of steam to create fundraisers I had to go on faith that others would see the value of the mission and support it just for the sake of supporting, not in exchange for goods or services.  As a local business owner we daily get asked to give to a wide variety of good causes and I struggle to be the one asking.  I can only thank my many friends and family that did not have to be asked; just found a way to be supportive.  From sewing machines, fabric and supplies that just kind of showed up; to the checks that were filled out and mailed in; to coming to the harvest dinner, donating a silent auction item or participating in the basket class.  I feel very blessed to have such wonderful friends and family.  I can’t wait to get there, except for the bug thing I have recently been informed about.  Oh and the NEED for Immodium.  Okay, so there are a few things on my mind so pray for me; that I may have patience, wisdom, physical and mental strength for the challenges we face on the trip.  I promise to take some pictures and let you know how it goes.  You’ll probably have to ask me to stop talking about it……

No comments:

Post a Comment